Monday, September 14, 2009

Homage to the Epistolary


LUCIFER

WILLIAM


Elm Street 27

1206, Flatiron

New York, New York

December 6, 2007

William,

Today, we have completed a six month cycle of writing, and answering to each others’ letters. I am going to take this as a chance, to thank you for all the beautiful moments you’ve given to me, that have lit up my life and put a smile on my face on the rainiest of days in this cheerless existence I live in.

I am simply unable to stop reading Sonnet 116 that you sent me, it fills my mind day and night, and with it so do you. The simple words, love alters not with his brief hours and weeks, but bears it out even to the edge of doom, stir me, in the most delightful way.

Without romance every human is simply a wilting flower, do you not agree?

The sky is already darkening outside, for when I sit alone, parchment and pen in hand, thinking of what to say and how to phrase all the thoughts I mean to say to you, in my world, time stops as you engulf my thoughts, but outside it it rushes faster than ever before.

Wishing of hearing from you before long, for your reply can never come too soon.

With love, Lucifer

Harrison Avenue 33

5698, Kerbwood

Jacksonville, Illinois

December 20, 2007

Hello Lucifer,

Yes, it’s amazing isn’t it, to think that so much time has past since we started pen paling. I’m glad you liked the poem, I thought you’d enjoy it, as I already told you it’s one of my personal favorites. Sorry I haven’t been replying shortly, but things have been hectic over here. I’ve been exhausted with work at the farm, the pigs given birth and I have to take care of all the piglets now on top of everything else, but they’re such darlings, God bless them. At least John, my friend that I’ve been telling you about, has been helping me out, I’d be a mess without him.

Also I’ve been suffering from a sprained wrist, and writing to you earlier would have been difficult. What happened is that John and I were at the pub, and as we went to leave these buff brutes surrounded us and, they called us names, and you know how that angers me. I’m not hiding what I am, and in fact, I’m quite proud. A fight began, and that’s how I got injured. I knocked one of them straight unconscious, but besides, he was asking for it, the idiot.

Anyway, I’d like to tell you more details but I have to run and finish this letter in time to get it to the post office.

Hope everything is fine up there,

William

Elm Street 27

1206, Flatiron

New York, New York

December 29, 2007

Dear William,

I cannot help but feel that perhaps we are being torn apart by the world around us. I miss the personal, private conversations we would have. I have shared with you the deepest secrets that I have held hidden within my soul my entire lifetime, and you have shown to me your most sensitive, tender, vulnerable sides.

With all these things taking place in your life, I feel, I fear, I dread, we are fading away.

I never knew John and you where so close. You have left me quite in the dark regarding this matter; I wish you would have told me from before. You two seem to be getting along frightfully well…

Be sure that not every boy will realize what a rare diamond you are. Be careful not to get your heart trampled on, I assure you, it isn’t the most pleasant feeling…it makes one feel weak, and helpless…I am drowning, William, you are blind. Love is blind.

It’s up to you to take me out of this nightmare before it’s too late.

Lucifer

Harrison Avenue 33

5698, Kerbwood

Jacksonville, Illinois

January 13, 2008

Lucifer,

I’m sorry to hear you feel this way, but I honestly don’t really understand. I thought you would be happy I found someone, you said it yourself that love is all we really need to keep us alive, and I agreed. John and I weren’t even together Lucifer, but things have changed since my last letter, and I must say we are now living the happiest days of our lives, together.

Word’s can’t describe the bliss I feel, the joy he brings me.

I hope everything is alright between us, if there’s something you want to discuss feel free to tell me as always, you seem troubled but I can’t quite put my finger on it.

William

Elm Street 27

1206, Flatiron

New York, New York

January 21, 2008

William,

I have tried to tell you in so many ways, but you do not believe, or you do not want to believe what I am showing you. Perhaps I am not worthy enough of you.

You have changed everything for me.

You gave me a reason to get up in the morning, a reason to continue, a reason to live. Now, you are taking all that away from me.

I can take this no longer. I am breaking every second. I simply, cannot take it anymore.

I am falling into an abyss, which I can no longer pull myself out of. As I fall deeper, and deeper, I feel that I am getting closer to the end. I had found hope, in wishing for the impossible.

I love you, William.

With these last words, I shall say one last goodbye.

Yours forever,

Lucifer

Harrison Avenue 33

5698, Kerbwood

Jacksonville, Illinois

January 29, 2008

Lucifer, what’s going on?

You have me worried!

Snap out of this, you’re being childish, all we had was a long distance friendship, stop these imaginary scenarios please. How dare you try to turn all this around and try to make me feel guilty for something that I have not done?

Why can’t you just be happy for me?

Stop being selfish. You should feel lucky I’m still speaking to you.

William

Harrison Avenue 33

5698, Kerbwood

Jacksonville, Illinois

February 14, 2008

Lucifer,

I’m sorry for everything I said,

I take it all back.

Please, just reply soon, so that I know you’re all right, okay?

I still care about you you know.

William

Harrison Avenue 33

5698, Kerbwood

Jacksonville, Illinois

March 3, 2008

Lucifer,

It’s all right, I understand. You must have thought I looked down on you, and perhaps I mislead you all this time. I see why you’re not replying to me, I just hope that you’re happy now whatever you’re doing, and that you don’t regret us meeting.

You can still reply whenever you feel, and we can still talk, as friends.

William


3 comments:

Nik Weiss said...

I think it's well written but you keep some of the sentences going to long. Sometimes you just keep adding comma after comma after comma, and the sentence never ends. You could place more emphasis on specific sentences by having a long run-on sentence, and then following it with a short one, thereby placing emphasis on the shorter sentence. Otherwise great choice of words, especially for Lucifer. I have to admit that I liked his letters a bit more, because you made them full of emotion.

Andrikkis said...

I believe that it is an excellent piece of work. It had a really good use of words and the whole scenario kept me interested all the way through. Some of the sentences were really long, and you could break most of them in shorter sentences. The text pictures were really clear and you could read really easily what they say.

Sfiktos said...

I believe that this is a great piece of work. The only thing that i didn't like is that the sentence where very big, but everything else was great.