Thursday, September 11, 2008

THE HORRORS


SHE'S A SPECIAL GIRL YOU KNOW, THE KIND I'D HOPE TO SEE, HANGING ON A WALL, WATCHING ME CROSS THE STREETS
I AM A HORROR



“Music is my life”, I hear people say over and over. Yeah, well:
Layla. says:
Music is your life when you lie on the floor and listen. When you let it run through you and not exist only around you and you feel ready enough to hit the ceiling with your fists because that entire band is speaking to you, sitting with your head in their laps and listening to you yell and scream about how unfair it all is and cooling your hot little teenage head because no one else can.

Music changes people. Music is a part of what makes people who they are. Everybody listens to music. It’s the universal language.

In my life, music is what tells me what I’m feeling. It’s the songs that capture my emotions. It’s my mood setter. Also, it’s what creates time periods in my life. When I listen to a song, I think and remember everything I used to do and with who way back when I used to listen to it. It brings back the memories and feelings of something I’ve already lived.

Seeing that this is the key role that music plays in my life, there isn’t a certain particular kind of music that coincides with my personal culture, since it changes according to what I’m feeling. I do have a preference for underground music though, since I find it often has much more background to it, and also creates sounds that aren’t heard often. My taste in music hasn’t matured over the years- only broadened. As long as it has quality and originality, all music appeals to me. I listen to all sorts- from folk, to industrial, from rock, to jazz, from electro, to indie, and hopefully everything in between.

I don’t think I have a favorite band, but one of my top bands are the Horrors. They are a relatively new band, created only in 2005. They are British and play garage rock.

The members are:

Faris Badwan (formerly Rotter) - Vocals
Joshua Third[6], formerly Von Grimm (Joshua Hayward) - Guitar
Tomethy Furse (Tom Cowan) - Bass
Spider Webb (Rhys Webb) - Combo organ
Coffin Joe (Joseph Spurgeon) - Drums

Farris Badwan and Tom Cowan attended Rugby School together, and met Rhys Webb in the early 2000’s. In 2005 , Joseph Spurgeon and Joshua Hayward joined the band which revolved around all of their love for 60’s garage rock music. They mainly only played at underground clubs then, and weren’t big at all yet.

They weren’t really a known band till 2006, when they released their song Sheena Is A Parasite. Thanks to support from other bands they played with later on, in performances such as the NME Indie Rock Tour 2007, they gained even more recognition and their popularity increased.

Strange House was released in March 2007, and 37th on the UK charts on the 5th of the same month. To promote it, they played a tour all over the world, and made many more appearances that year, including the Glastonbury Festival. A second album is expected some time in 2009.
Some recent activity of theirs was playing at the NME awards show with Crystal Castles, another one of my favorite bands.
Discography

Albums

Strange House (March 5, 2007), UK

The Horrors EP (24 October, 2006)

The Horrors have a very particular, original sound. They’re the kind of band that nobody sounds like, and if you hear a song of their’s you haven’t heard before, you’ll immediately recognise it because of their characteristic style. For example, one unique thing about them is the way their keyboard is set to sound like an organ, which you don’t hear very often in groups nowadays. Another interesting thing about them is the way they dress, they haven’t changed their style and had it from before the indie outfit was popular. Their unique hairstyles, skinny jeans over their skeletal figures, and pointy shoes weren’t too popular yet.

I like this video clip because of the way they put together video and animation, but still kept their dark-ish style. I find that the girl they portray manages to look wretched yet beautiful at the same time. Also the band members seem to be interacting with the later drawn sketches. The song She Is The New Thins is somewhat similar to Sheena Is A Parasite, content wise, talking about a girl that we’re not sure is really wanted or loved. I particularly like the instrumentation in this piece, it’s just as important as the singing. I find it an addictive song that I can’t get out of my head for days when I listen to it. I find that the song is great on it’s own- but the video that matches the mood perfectly makes it even better.

1 comment:

Mr. White said...

This is particularly nice. Your content is well thought out and presented in a very logical order. You not have opinionated statements, you also go into detail justification. (Thank you).

I also say you have won hands down any competition regarding musical selections. I will be adding the Horrors to my personal archive.

Regarding originality, these fellows have their definite favorites.
Like any good artist the should have a selection of influences and in-depth studies.

The organ is a 60’s era modification- I particularly love all music with this very specific sound- from the Monkeys to Jacque Dutronc.

The rather gloomy bit was pioneered by:


The Cramps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVLpaiH2hbQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5OMuj4FpII
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrbTkNwbUz8

Later-

The Misfits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP7wHOHYCdc

And even preceding all this (although, not my favorite)

- Alice Cooper